How to reduce the chances of being
attacked by Ransomware.
solution will NOT work if your computer is already encrypted.
is an invasive program that holds your computer hostage by encrypting
your files until you pay a ransom. It can erase your files
even destroy you computer. It can easily be passed on to
friends and anyone else you e-mail or share files with.
If your computer is still using Microsoft's XP, Vista or 8, you REALLY
NEED TO DO THE FOLLOWING:
(If you are uncomfortable messing around with your computer's operating
system, ask a
teenage friend to help!)
Go to the following website (it may take several tries as it is VERY
'popular' due to the hacking attacks):
and enter KB4012598 in the search box. This
should bring up a list of operating systems.
Here are some generic instructions
- your particular set of
steps depends on how your system and browser are set up.
- Choose the 'DOWNLOAD' option for
whichever system you are using (it
should be one of the first three listed).
- You should then get a dialog box with a
ridiculously long file
name. Click that file name.
- Depending on your browser's settings you may be asked to
'Run'. If you have a choice, choose 'Run', otherwise do a 'Save'.
- If you saved the file, find it and click on it to run
you did a 'Run' go to step 5.
- After starting the program, a dialog box will open asking
agree - you should agree.
- Another box will open and indicate the steps that are being
install the patch. You are done when this box either closes or